Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer blues

Toward the end of the school year I thought that the summer would never arrive. Now, more than half way through summer, I just do not know what to do with myself. I'm bored out of my mind. I spend all day taking care of our destructive puppy who teethes on everything. Her favorites at the moment are: socks, shoes, body parts, rugs, pillows, my metal bathroom chair (which I just flat out don't understand) and anything else within reach. I get tired of telling her no, squealing ouch (as suggested by puppy obedience training) and taking things from her mouth. If I put her in her kennel to stop her obnoxious behavior, I feel guilty...peaceful, but guilty. I can't really take her out for walks during the day, being that it is roughly 103 outside. Anyway...enough about that.
I have so many things that I want to do to the house but, they all require money. I'm not feeling inspired to craft. I was motivated to work out but the crazy trainer keeps calling me (like multiple times a day) and I'm feeling overly pressured from him. That just drives me further away from the gym....He is not being productive. I watch HGTV all day and get full of new house ideas, but alas, it all comes down to money.
The next issue that has me feeling down is the new school year. I will be teaching Social Studies and Science. Hmmmm. I taught SS/ELA last year and it was fabulous. I only had 49 students total! This year I will have 81 students...the same number of copies to work with, less time with each of my 3 classes and a TAKS subject that I am not experienced with. Again, hmmmm. How am I supposed to teach 2 subjects in less time than last year? How am I supposed to give these precious children all that they need when I am already feeling like taffy, pulled to the breaking point? I am feeling better having expressed these feelings in writing. It always helps me to think things through. So basically...I'm just scared. That's probably normal; I know I felt it last summer. I need to pray, pray, pray. The Lord has not given me more than I can handle. That should be my mantra for the new year....The Lord has not given me more than I can handle. The Lord has not given me more than I can handle. The Lord has not given me more than I can handle. Ok- feeling better.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hang in there, girlie! I will share with you a quote that my friend passed along to me during some tough times:

"Be gentle with yourself, and courageous in all that you do"

Big hugs,
Sara

Leslie said...

Ok Kac,
if there is anything I know, I know that YOU can do this. There has never been anything you wanted to accomplish that you didn't....

and the overwhelming feeling of it all I am praying for a peace in that too...

as far as summer boredness,it will be but a blink, and you will be back in school with chaos, enjoy the calm.

Miss you.

Diana said...

I can completely relate. I'm getting rather bored this summer, and instead of using all my free time to do productive things like clean out my garage, I sit around and read novels I've read multiple times before, and veg on the couch watching TV/movies.
We also have a dog (about a year old) and we went through the exact same things with her. She was so destructive. It's a little better now because she's big enough to stay outside all the time, but it's also over 100 most days where we live, so I can't take her out and exercise her.
I wish you the very best with this next school year. It will no doubt be very hard to give those kids the attention and education they need, but I'm sure you'll be able to do it.